A Homemade Present and A Reminder of More Simple Times



My parents being in there 70's often talk about their childhoods. Times that were hard because it was just after the war had ended but they were times that were more simple and care free.  My Dad on many occasions has told me about his homemade Christmas present his Father used to make for him and his brother and sisters each year.  They all got one main present made by my Grandfather in his shed and then some fruits and nuts to go along with it (often an orange because they were a real treat).  They all adored their gift because it was handmade.

As a creative type I have often given gifts as handmade presents but never to my children and this year I thought it was time I had a go. So I went to a shop in Cornwall that is known for its randomness (Jims) and brought a house shaped wooden box. I would have liked to have built this from scratch but my wood work skills are not very advanced. Once home I painted the house in a lovely purple using a sample pot from B&Q, covered the outside with gloss to make it more hard wearing and wipeable.  I then purchased some papers from The Range in the Santoro London range (apologies for saying range twice...well now three times) and cut sections out to look like wallpapers. I used items from the packaging to create what I thought looked like picture frames and wall decorations again from The Santoro Range (four times now haha). Anyway in the midst of all of this when out shopping I came across some mini My Little Ponies which fit inside the mini house and wrapped them all up and gave them to my daughter on Christmas Day. Her face was such a pretty picture of joy when she saw it and when my son told her I made it she was thrilled. It now lives next to her bed so she can play with it whilst snuggled under her duvet. I feel so happy that I took the time to put something together for her. It didn't take long and her reaction to it was so different to the normal things I just buy and wrap.

I think I should now make an effort to make this a tradition for all of my children. I wont be able to guarantee I get it right each time but at least they will always know that mummy made an effort to make them something individual to them and who knows maybe my Grandad would be proud that something he did when he was alive still delivers a positive message today.

Comments